Monday, 1 June 2009


14th Herceptin

Another 3 weeks have passed by and I was back at the hospital today. Had my 3 monthly appointment with the consultant this morning only he wasn't there (as usual), so I saw the lady oncologist who is rather brusque...but I quite like that.

Waited over an hour to been seen and was in the room for a total of approx 4mins!!...must be a record!!

She said my heart function was ok and that I could go ahead and have the treatment, when I said that I had already booked my next (and last heart scan) she said that I was going to be on Herceptin for the foreseeable future. Which for me is excellent news.

Off I went and reported upstairs, only to be told I was down on the list for tomorrow!! I do normally go on a Tuesday except for the times I have to see my consultant as his clinic is only on Monday mornings...he had forgotten to change the date on my treatment card -doh!!

The receptionist managed to persuade pharmacy to make up my drugs for today but they said it would be approx 3hr wait. So I went into town and did a bit of shopping.

They are so good considering they're so busy they even rang my mobile to let me know that the drugs were ready when I was.

Now for the exciting bit (well exciting to me anyway!!)

On Friday 12th June I'm having a Power Port fitted - no more fiddling around trying to find veins. It's a brand new design that can also deliver contrast dyes for CT scans at the right pressure.

It's done under sedation and takes approx 2hrs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port-a-Cath

I'll be the first at our hospital to have one of the 'power' ones fitted. There are only 34 others in total who have a port and at a cost of around £3k I'm not surprised.

So when others are moaning about the treatment they get at our hospital I have nothing but praise,they really are looking after me and doing what's best for me. it doesn't always go smoothly but that's life...nothing ever does!!

Love Clare xx

7 comments:

  1. That's great news Clare - both about the herceptin and the power port! What a relief it will be not to have your body parts poked and prodded anymore to find good veins! Your hospital sound like they are doing a fab job with you, so three cheers to Royal Berkshire! Love to you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats really good news Clare. So pleased that they are looking after you.
    Lisa xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news for you clare that will be so much better for you xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news Clare, no more bruises then. H x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Clare - I'm in! At last I've managed to get access to your blog.

    Well done on the weight loss! Keep up the good work. You're going to look fab for your hols at this rate.

    Great news about the Herceptin and the power port. It's all getting a bit bionic isn't it?!

    Will be thinking of you on Friday. Hope it goes well. When it's done, will you be able to use it for intravenous gin and tonic?

    love and hugs,

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done slinky linky on the weight loss and great news about your treatment. Wish I could have made it to the 'meet' but hopefully I'll be able to go next time. x

    ReplyDelete