My brother-in-law found this in the free newspaper 'Metro'
Despite the development of many newer drugs, tamoxifen -- which prevents tumors from being fuelled by the sex hormone estrogen -- has still remained the gold standard in treating hormone sensitive tumors.
According to the study published in Cancer Research, the long-term use of the common breast cancer drug places the consumer at an increased risk of developing a more aggressive, difficult-to-treat tumor.
Tamoxifen lowers the reoccurrence risk of estrogen-positive breast cancers by 60%.
It, however, increases the risk of developing a second ER negative (estrogen receptor negative) tumor in the opposite breast by 440%.
Scientists urged women to continue taking the medication despite the findings of their study, adding that the odds of developing a second tumor is very low in these individuals.
According to the study published in Cancer Research, the long-term use of the common breast cancer drug places the consumer at an increased risk of developing a more aggressive, difficult-to-treat tumor.
Tamoxifen lowers the reoccurrence risk of estrogen-positive breast cancers by 60%.
It, however, increases the risk of developing a second ER negative (estrogen receptor negative) tumor in the opposite breast by 440%.
Scientists urged women to continue taking the medication despite the findings of their study, adding that the odds of developing a second tumor is very low in these individuals.
So do I think I'm one of the unlucky ones and had been taking Tamoifen for 18mths when my 2nd harder to treat tumour appeared in the opposite breast?
Can I really have been that unlucky to be taking a drug to help my liver and lung tumours and ended up having a mastectomy?
Two questions I will never know the anwser to....
I'm still taking Tamoxifen - should I continue, what would my consultant say I wonder (I will be asking on my next clinic appointment), they always seem to brush these sorts of things to one side as they hate to be challenged on the treatment they are giving....
Something else to think about on top of everything else....
Love Clare xx
My dear friend, it saddens me that you have to question your treatment, they should know what they are doing!! Grr...
ReplyDeleteThat said, question away, it's only by people like you questioning their treatment that things will improve.
((hugs)) to you as always, Wendy xxx