Tuesday, 12 January 2010

Ouch and Ouch....
Ouch No.1 was frost bitten toes from waiting for a bus for 35mins...
Got to the hospital with 1min to spare!
The consultant explained what they were going to do and the complications involved, I signed on the dotted line and off we went....
He'd said to me all I ask of you is to shallow breathe...easier said than done when you've just hauled yourself up on to table, re-arranged the gown and have your head face down on a pillow!!
The idea was to take a sample of tissue from my lung ....problem was the nodule was right under my shoulder blade and not very big..(thankfully)
They did a scan got ready with the marker pen and then decided to have a chat amongst themselves...
5 or so minutes later he came in the room and said they'd had decided it would be too painful for me and extremely difficult for them to get a decent enough sample, so I had a rib biopsy instead!!
Not just for fun ....there is an unidentified mass on one of my left ribs and he thought it would be best to get this checked out.  If it comes up negative then I will be going back and they will do the lung biopsy, however long it takes!
Ouch No.2 - it hurt briefly and all I could feel was the scrapping of bone...yuk!

Back in recovery and had to lay down for an hour just reading ...lovely..
The nurse asked who was collecting me and I said no one I was going to get a taxi - oh no I wasn't!!
They won't let you home unless someone is with you. I was so annoyed at this as I'd phoned and asked what the discharge procedure was and the lady who I spoke to said I would be fine on my own and that I could drive!!!  Only reason I didn't drive was the snow!!  The nurses were annoyed too when I showed them the letter that didn't mention anything about having someone to take you home...anyway my lovely Dad came and got me with his friend.
Spend the afternoon at Mum and Dad's being waited on and got home to another letter 'inviting' me for a bone scan next Friday 22nd...certainly getting my moneys worth recently...
So follow up appointment to see consultant on 26th where hopefully they'll have the results of both biopsy and bone scan..

Love Clare xx

5 comments:

  1. Clare, Glad it went ok although it was painful. Fingers crossed for a good result. Rest up and let other people take care of you for a bit. I think you are pretty brave going on your own.
    Alex x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit I was surprised you went alone too, but anyway you got through it! Hang in there, we are hoping for good results. At least the bone scan will be non invasive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The reason I go on my own is peace and quiet to read and the fact that no one is ever allowed in when procedures are being done so it's a waste of their time really...
    Don't understand hoards of people in the chemo ward just sitting there whilst their friends/partners nod off...some have whole families there....makes me chuckle!!

    Clare xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clare hope your feeling a little more comfortable now and continueing to rest up. All the best for your bone scan AND HOPING YOU GET SOME GOOD RESULTS ON THE 26TH.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad it wasn't too painful Clare and you got some R n R at your Mum and Dad's x

    ReplyDelete