Friday, 19 March 2010

I just knew that my Drs appointment to have a Zoladex injection wouldn't go smoothly...

Got to the Drs on time to be told that the Dr I was booked with doesn't do the injections and they'd put me with someone else...that's fine I thought.

I waited 20mins past my appointment time got called and went in, I just knew straight away that something wasn't right.  The Dr started off by saying "we have a bit of a problem" the problem being that surgery don't hold Zoladex anymore as it was costing too much, so I needed to have a prescription and go to the chemist and get it, go back to the Drs and he'd fit me in between patients (that was good of him!)

Bit annoyed that this could have been sorted out when I booked the appointment but no probs (so I thought) Boots is just round the corner.  How wrong I was they didn't have any and so I phoned a couple of others chemists and no chemist stocks it as they have to order it in as it's too expensive (£60) to hold stock that may not get used. It has to be ordered in.

I went back to the Drs and said I couldn't get it now and it would be at the chemist Friday morning.  Yep guess what they have no free appointments on Friday (there are only a couple of Drs who are 'allowed' to do the injection).  The receptionist huffed and puffed about giving me one Monday morning but as I pointed out to her it was the least they could do seeing as it was them at fault in the first place.  She finally agreed to give me one of the 'emergency' slots put aside for Monday morning.

I walked out of there so angry and annoyed that something so simple as not giving me the prescription last week ended up with me having to chase around and phone local chemists and having to make another appointment.

I also have a concern about the length of the treatment, the Dr I saw said he'd give a months worth to start with and then it would be 3 monthly - I did point out to him that it isn't licensed to be used on a 3 monthly basis for breast cancer (only prostrate)  but only monthly, he didn't seem to think it mattered but I do as the drug may not have the staying power over 3 months.  I will print off the info I have from the Zoladex website and take it along should there be any disagreement!

So again I have to do the running around and sorting out....I thought I'd got early retirement but I guess not!!

Love Clare xx

2 comments:

  1. Grr! You seem to be single handedly doing the job all the NHS should be doing for you!

    How's your Dad?

    xx
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad is much better but was still 'wobbly' until yesterday....thanks for asking x

    ReplyDelete