I was booked to have a CT scan today at 12.15...
On Monday I phoned my consultants secretary to book an appointment in a couple of weeks time to get results of the CT scan...she got my notes up on screen and said that it had been suggested I have a scan sometime in April and thought radiology had jumped the gun and booked me one too soon, she would speak to Onc's registrar (onc off skiing!!) and get back to me.
When I have a CT scan I have to have a contrast dye that goes in through a vein, as I have a power port it is put through there but I have to arrange for one of the vascular nurses (Sheila) to access it so that the scan people can attach the cannula and do the dye. On Tuesday I had a phone call from the ward sister on the chemo ward saying that Sheila would be off on Friday so could I go up to the ward and they will access the port for me...no probs at all and very kind of them to organise that for me.
I had no phone call during the week to say the scan was cancelled so arranged for my Dad to collect Jack from school at 11.30am.
On Monday I phoned my consultants secretary to book an appointment in a couple of weeks time to get results of the CT scan...she got my notes up on screen and said that it had been suggested I have a scan sometime in April and thought radiology had jumped the gun and booked me one too soon, she would speak to Onc's registrar (onc off skiing!!) and get back to me.
When I have a CT scan I have to have a contrast dye that goes in through a vein, as I have a power port it is put through there but I have to arrange for one of the vascular nurses (Sheila) to access it so that the scan people can attach the cannula and do the dye. On Tuesday I had a phone call from the ward sister on the chemo ward saying that Sheila would be off on Friday so could I go up to the ward and they will access the port for me...no probs at all and very kind of them to organise that for me.
I had no phone call during the week to say the scan was cancelled so arranged for my Dad to collect Jack from school at 11.30am.
I phoned the consultants secretary to double check as I had a feeling in the back of my over crowded mind that I shouldn't be going for the scan this early.
She said "Oh no you don't need it today Dr C wants it done in April" apparently she meant to phone yesterday but was so busy!! (it wasn't X-Ray's fault at all Dr C's registrar had written on the request card (by mistake) '2 weeks time' when she handed it in).
The secretary said she'd phone X-ray and cancel for me - I hope she has as I don't want a black mark against my name for a no-show and also no one can now have my appointment as it's too late to give it to someone else as you have to fast for 4hrs before.
So then I had to get through to the chemo ward to tell them I wouldn't be in to have my port accessed.
Everytime I have to do my own admin for things...is this the same at most hospitals??
Can't fault the nurses/treatment etc just the booking of appointments and any admin bits and bobs.
It's a good job I'm not an anxious person as going for scans doesn't bother me but the logistics of it all does...I like to make sure I'm on time/ car parked ok/childcare taken care off etc...
Friends say complain but if I do what will change...nothing, most probably I'll just get a reputation for being a pain!!
Oh and to top it all I asked if as promised the letter re:Zoladex had been faxed to my GP - well would you believe it...not done!! Will be done Monday. If turn up for my appointment next Thurs and my GP knows nothing about itI will explode!!!
She said "Oh no you don't need it today Dr C wants it done in April" apparently she meant to phone yesterday but was so busy!! (it wasn't X-Ray's fault at all Dr C's registrar had written on the request card (by mistake) '2 weeks time' when she handed it in).
The secretary said she'd phone X-ray and cancel for me - I hope she has as I don't want a black mark against my name for a no-show and also no one can now have my appointment as it's too late to give it to someone else as you have to fast for 4hrs before.
So then I had to get through to the chemo ward to tell them I wouldn't be in to have my port accessed.
Everytime I have to do my own admin for things...is this the same at most hospitals??
Can't fault the nurses/treatment etc just the booking of appointments and any admin bits and bobs.
It's a good job I'm not an anxious person as going for scans doesn't bother me but the logistics of it all does...I like to make sure I'm on time/ car parked ok/childcare taken care off etc...
Friends say complain but if I do what will change...nothing, most probably I'll just get a reputation for being a pain!!
Oh and to top it all I asked if as promised the letter re:Zoladex had been faxed to my GP - well would you believe it...not done!! Will be done Monday. If turn up for my appointment next Thurs and my GP knows nothing about itI will explode!!!
Clare xx
Clare - I would not complain but I would bring this to someone's attention to try to ensure that others get a better service. What if you were elderly or not very on the ball? Good job you are very efficient! How can they be so useless? What do they do all day?? Rachel
ReplyDelete