Friday, 5 November 2010

OMG - I made it...last chemo today and not once did it have to be put back due to low blood count..in fact Dr C said today looking at my bloods you'd never know I was on chemo - I am made of strong stuff!!

I started the day in the X-Ray dept as when I went to have my blood taken yesterday they were having trouble getting blood from my port, so they wanted an X-Ray done to see if the port was ok i.e the catheter was still attached.  Had it done and all ok...humm...

The nurses weren't happy that yesterday I could feel a stinging sensation so they arranged for me to see the consultant radiologist for him to put dye in my port to check it wasn't damaged in any way.  Only thing was they could only do it at 1.30pm so it meant waiting around.

Back to clinic to see Dr C and he said he was happy that this would be my last chemo and he would suggest a CT scan in about April but if I felt ill in anyway before then to get back to him.  

I'm going to carry on with the 3 weekly Herceptin.

I told him about the Oedema in my feet /leg and hand (right side only!) and he said he'd give me some water tablets...I jokingly asked if it would help weight loss...his reply was...oh you'll be a size Zero before I see you next!! I have been warned to only take them at breakfast any later and I won't sleep for a fortnight - yikes!!

I asked about doing Pilates after the New Year and he is all for gentle exercise but said not to try any cardio vascular stuff...I laughed pointed to my body and said "does it look like I enjoy that sort of thing"

I went back up to the ward and got the port accessed ready for later and my friend Fiona who I started Herceptin with (she's now finished) popped in to see me and gave me a lovely box of Belgian Truffles to celebrate my last chemo...how nice is that?

I went back down to X-Ray for 1.30pm and they put a black dye through the port with no leakage so the consultant was happy for them to continue use of the port.  He did say that they dye bubbled at the end of the catheter and this may have been caused by some sort of fibre stuff - didn't catch what he actually said.  too busy looking at him as he's rather dishy!

Back up to the ward for 2pm and away we went with the chemo, followed by the Herceptin - left the hospital 4.50pm, just  in time to hit the rush hour traffic.

So all in all an eventful last chemo.

I was so happy to walk out of there knowing that I possibly only have 2/3 weeks of side effects and then I can work on getting fully fit/losing weight and not forgetting 'Operation Bob'..

Fingers crossed I have a good stint at just Herceptin before they have to re-think my treatment.

Love Clare xx

No comments:

Post a Comment