Wednesday, 17 December 2008

Tuesday 8th July 2008

Today didn’t go how I expected...still not shocked though!

Saw my surgeon who said that whilst they are thrilled that the liver and lung tumours are apparently ‘not there’ there is something ‘going on’ in my pelvic area i.e ‘a mass’ on my ovary, I put it to him that it’s possibly a cyst but they think not as it’s solid...

So, it’s another wait whilst they try to get me in to see a gynae next Tuesday to do an ultrasound and possibly arrange a laparoscopy to get a biopsy done.

Worst case scenario is hysterectomy and ovary removal.

He said that as soon as we know what we’re dealing with I will be going in for a mastectomy and centinal node clearance (2 lymph nodes nearest the breast).

If I need other surgery by the gynae they will try and do it all together.

I asked if I should have a double mastectomy and he said ‘no’, obviously if I insisted they would do it but the chances of recurrence in my right breast is less than 5%.

It’s not the same strain as the one I already have...unfortunately, it’s what’s called triple negative so hormone therapy (like tamoxifen) wouldn’t be of any use and he did say that if I do have ovarian cancer then it would be a gene mutation within me, as there is no family history so it's started with me.

There was so much to take in so I hope I’ve explained it as well as I can.

Will be waiting in anticipation for the phone call to let me know the appointment time for next Tuesday...they’d better phone or ...grrrr!

love Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment