Wednesday, 18 March 2009


Since my diagnosis I've been in a long term sick scheme through my employers. (I didn't ask to go in to it they automatically did it for me).The scheme runs for 2 years and my 2 yrs are up on 23rd April..I have the chance to apply for ill-health retirement under the Company I am now employed by (Capita) and to apply to my previous employers to take my frozen pension (Prudential - Capita took us over last April)

I have had a letter from my old employers saying their requirements and how much per annum my pension will be.
My current employers won't give any indication of the amount I may receive if it's granted and to be honest it's really worrying me...

At present I get 65% wage and incapacity benefit which I presume will have to be given up if I take IHR..I can't understand why they won't let me know how much I'll get as they must know how much I'll get.

I'm also very miffed that I should have been given the chance to take IHR when they put me into the Long Term sickness scheme, as my previous employers enhance the pension to normal retirement age...but alas it's now frozen so only get 20yrs service worth instead of 39yrs...

Again my current employers won't indicate what enhancement, if any is applied..and unfortunately under TUPE a pension isn't counted like other Terms and Conditions.

I'm seeing my consultants on Monday and know that he's already had the request for a medical report as his secretary said she's pinned it to he front of my notes for him. She said I should press him to make it urgent as she's still chasing a report that he had in November - if it takes 6 months to sort out I'll be so annoyed.

If I was still employed by Prudential they would have it all sorted by now and have been thoroughly professional...BUT...I'm now employed by Capita and they haven't a clue!!

Even if I get accepted for IHR I don't have to take it but knowing the figures would help...

I have been given the options of:

  • Go back to work - even though there is no job for me now as all our work has been migrated to Mumbai! - (I was offered redundancy 2 yrs ago but declined)
  • Stay employed on a no work no pay basis - that way I get to keep my death in service
  • Take IHR (if they think I qualify for it after getting medical reports)

So not really much choice but to hope the Trustees of the Pension scheme agree that I can take it and then that the figures are ok.

Scary times....

Love Clare xx

2 comments:

  1. Clare, I so wish I could give you some advice but this has left me head reeling .... I hope you can get some good advice as it seems a positive minefield. I hope you get an acceptable resolution. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  2. (((Clare))) Please ring Mark any time. He will be more than happy to help where he can xxx

    ReplyDelete