Tuesday, 18 May 2010

Heart scan/Results day today.

Got to the hospital early (as always) and went along for my heart scan and realised that if my notes were in the cardiac unit how would my oncologist be able to see them?  I asked if I could take my notes with me and they said only if I took them staright there.  Oh how I would have loved an hour or so to have a good look through them!

Heart is ok so Herceptin can carry on until they dedcide otherwise.

Made my way down to the Cancer clinic (what a horrible but apt name) and was greeted with words 'we're running and hour behind'.  Blimey he was still seeing his morning patients!!

I sat and read my book for a while then my nose got the better of me and I had to stop so I could listen and look at what was going on.  I finally got called in at 4pm (appt was 2.50pm) and was seen by Dr Charlton's registrar, although he was in the next room dishing out advice (all good I expect!)

She said that the scan showed 'progression of disease' in the chest wall, which would explain the pain I've been in over the past couple of months. Plus a 'proper' tumour has appeared in my liver (before it was just a measly nodule/lesion...so it's been promoted) and I now have 3 lung tumours 2 of 7mm and one just a bit bigger.

They decided between them, after a brief conflab, that chemo should be kept for later on.  As I'm not presenting any 'ill' symptoms just pain it would seem silly to use one of the 'big guns' now rather than when it's most needed.

For the chest wall pain they are going to organise radiotherapy (5 sessions) and hopefully that will ease the pain.

I asked what about the liver tumour but apparently it should be ok for a while, however, if I feel nauseous or find it difficult to eat (yeah that 'll be the day!!) or drink, I need to contact them immediatley and we can get on with sorting it out.

I will have another CT scan at the end of July and take it from there.

So for now I get to enjoy the 'summer' without feeling crappy and being bald.

It's not the best news but it could have been worse as they could have said for me to start chemo straight away...

There's always a bright side...

Love Clare xx

8 comments:

  1. Aw Clare - you do make me laugh! Even when you are being serious you are funny. No chemo for now has to be good news. Lots of hugs from me. R x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clare, I have been waiting for the full update. Glad there are some positives .... altho a bit grim no chemo just now must be a good thing. Keep fighting that fight.
    Alexandra x

    ps: Love your sense of humour too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clare I admire your spirit, your whole attitude is so positive. I hope Jon is ok, it must be tough on him. Love to you all xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pleased for you that it's still a no to more chemo at the moment. Let's hope it's a lovely summer. Thinking of you all. H & K

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of love, Clare, and thanks for the news - I'm sorry for the bad bits and glad for the better bits.
    love Julia
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clare
    You can always see the silver lining, you're such a positive person and that's why this will not get the better of you! Just keep fighting as you've always done. You're amazing
    Lots of love, Lisa xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have only just seen this. As raccioc says, above, it's good that you can see the funny side of things.

    Very good news about the chemo.

    Take care.

    Lindsey x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok - finally got the hang of this (I think!). Sorry to hear you've been in pain and that the Cancer has progressed. Here's to a pain free and fun summer before the next zapping! Will send an newsy email. Big hugs. Jan x

    ReplyDelete