First of 6 doses of Taxotere today.
Got to the hopsital as usual at 8.30am.
Got called through at 9.10am and went through all the gumph with Tracy (chemo nurse), she talked all through the side effects and what to do to try and ease them if I get them.
She gave me my tablets and made sure I understood how many to take when. The steroids (Dexamethsone) are to be taken 2 twice daily (breakfast/lunch) for the first 2 days and then 1 twice daily for 1 day and then 1 at breakfast for the last day...I'll need a tick chart at this rate!!
I also have Domperidone anti-sickness tablets that I can take if I start to feel nauseous. Let's hope the entire box of them stays intact!
She asked me how I feel about it all and if there were any questions or concerns. My only concern (well my main one) is that if I get bad side effects I won't be able to look after Jack properly. We'll get to that when we need to/if we need to.
She asked if I had spoken to jack about my treatment and I said I had, he obviously doesn't know what cancer is but I've told him that I go to the hospital as I'm poorly (even if I don't look it) and that I'm having some new medication that will make my hair fall out. Did I get any sympathy from him? No he just asked if I was going to turn into a boy!
I did get upset at one point, lost my guard and tears fell only for a millisecond as I soon remembered mascara and the like doesn't look good on your cheeks. The reason I was upset was I was really hoping to get through 2010 chemo free and nearer the 5 year mark next year since my last lot of chemo.
My port was accessed and off we went - saline solution with Dexamethasone, anti sickness drug and then the Big Boy (Taxotere) who is hopefully going to see off the buggers for a while.
That took about 90mins and then all change for my usual Herceptin which again was 90mins.
They were so busy by the time I was finishing and the staff were so stressed. Two were 'arguing' over a seat and pump. It was so funny and the bloke next to me was hoping for a fight!!
I got up to leave and both the nurses told their patient to take a seat, fastest first I reckon, I didn't hang about to see the aftermath!
Popped to Boots after to get a new thermometer as I can't find the one I used last time. Oh it's prob with the bag of scarves that I can't find either, you watch they'll all turn up the week I finish chemo!
When I got home I had a package through the door from my neighbour with a nice card and a lovely turquoise scarf in it. How thoughtful.
Popped to Boots after to get a new thermometer as I can't find the one I used last time. Oh it's prob with the bag of scarves that I can't find either, you watch they'll all turn up the week I finish chemo!
When I got home I had a package through the door from my neighbour with a nice card and a lovely turquoise scarf in it. How thoughtful.
Feeling ok this evening but time will tell as the weeks go on.
My next treatment is Monday 2nd August.
Oh Clare my lovely, I think a few tears are permissable :-) Really hoping your side effects are minimal, and you continue to feel well.
ReplyDeleteWill hopefully see you on the 17th ?
Take care
Alex x
(((Clare))) Amazed as ever how you seem to take this in your stride, and your posts are so upbeat. A few tears are definately allowed, after all you are human (please try to remember this!!)
ReplyDeleteDid laugh at Jacks comment about you turning into a boy!!
Hope you don't get any awful side effects.
Lots of love, Lisa xx
I will be there on 17th.
ReplyDeleteC x
I did smile when I read Jack's comment about turning into a boy. I can just picture my Charlie saying something like that. Tears are definitely allowed...maybe the guard does need to come down occasionally but you mustn't ever feel guilty about it. I think you are the bravest person I have ever known I hope you can carry on fighting this for a long time to come. XX
ReplyDelete((Clare)) Hope you didn't get the side affects and your feeling well. Have been thinking of you all this week.
ReplyDeleteAlso smiled at Jack's comment, and as for the tears there deffinately allowed.
You take good care
I hope you're still feeling well Clare and any nasties from the treatment are staying firmly where they belong - well away from you! I bet your scarves will turn up when this is all over - sods law, yes, but I hope it will happen at a time when you wont be facing any more treatment for a long, long time and can keep them firmly in the loft - I'll keep everything crossed for you, for however long it takes, that that day comes very soon. Seeya in a few weeks xxx
ReplyDelete