Thursday, 18 November 2010

Paula's Funeral...

I was dreading it and I'd only pulled off the drive and my lip started to quiver.

It was drizzling when I got there and that always things seem worse than they actually are.

As soon as I saw then hearse coming in the distance the tears began.

The doors opened to the chapel and I nipped in at the back in the corner where no one could see me and I couldn't see the coffin.  Intermittent crying from me and quite a lot of sniffing.

The celebrant (not sure what denomination he was) gave a nice 'chat' and Matthew had written about Paula - lovely words.

Alice wasn't there as Matthew didn't think it appropriate for a 4yr old and I tend to agree.

2 hymns, a reading, Lord's Prayer and to finish her grand exit was to Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen.

We all followed the hearse to the burial plot and by then the sun was trying it's hardest to come out.

I found it all rather strange as there was virtually no one (except within the family) of the same age as Paula.  It was also a very sombre and dark funeral...most wore black.

Which brings me to my own thoughts and what I'd like at my funeral...it's all written down and the Order of Service is half done...must finish that off or I may get hymns etc picked that I don't want!!

I will go up to the cemetery in a few weeks and say my own goodbye to Paula as there were so many people milling around I didn't want to go to the graveside today.

Love Clare xx

4 comments:

  1. I'm sad that you had to say goodbye to your dear friend Paula today and sad for her family also. Sending you lots of hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must have been a very hard day for you Clare - was thinking of you today and of course Paula's family.....sending you lots of hugs and love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. and some more hugs from me too Clare xxxx

    ReplyDelete