Monday, 4 April 2011

I had my planning session today for radiotherapy.  Wow what an experience!

As I have to have radio to my neck and shoulder/armpit area I had to have a mask made to shield my face..

The mask starts out as a flat piece if plastic with holes in it shaped like head shoulders and chest and they get you to lay down in position and then the plastic is heated with warm/hot water and quickly placed over the face/chest and neck.  It was an amazing experience and the radiographers mould the pliable plastic to the face and then blow cold air on it to set it in place it is battened down with clips so that you cannot move!

Starts like this...

End up moulded like this...

I then had to have a CT scan with the mask on...I had my eyes shut when they moulded it so now I have to keep them shut as there is no room for movement at all!

I have appointment times for the first week of treatment and it will start on 18th April.

Love Clare xx

3 comments:

  1. I remember seeing these on the wall when I went for my radiotherapy - reminded me of silence of the lambs! Wonder if you can get to take it home after you're finished?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing what they do with a bit of plastic.

    ReplyDelete