Wednesday, 1 June 2011

Right then where do I start..

Yesterday (31st May - 5yrs since original diagnosis) I was so bad again that I called the Dr for a phone consultation.

I got a call from Dr Shaw who said he wanted to come and see me.

Spent most of the morning between dozing and  in the bathroom throwing up.

Dr S came round at 1pm and did lots of tests eg. eyes, ears, strength of arms legs..etc etc

He wasn't happy and immediately got on the phone to Royal Berks to get a bed organised in Clinical Decisions Unit.  An ambulance was called and as I wasn't an emergency it would be approx 1-2hrs.  Just enough time to get a bag packed!

My neighbour Anita came over and helped me get a few bits together and at 3.30pm the ambulance arrived.  3 very nice paramedics and a bumpy journey to the hospital..so much paperwork it's madness.

Taken straight to CDU and luckily for me got a side room on my own (due to sickness and diarrhea)

All usual things done bloods, vital signs and went through symptoms for a 3rd time.

Didn't have to wait long before a lovely lady consultant came to see me...again (4th time) went through symptoms (was beginning to think it was some kind of test!)...she did all the tests and more that Dr Shaw did but not before telling me the results of the CT brain scan.

She said, no beating about the bush, but in a nice calm way, that I had 4 areas of metastasis in my brain .
At that I promptly threw up! Then cried.

Straight away they gave me steroids and painkillers and within 20mins the head pain had gone.  She explained that the tumours swell and push against the skull and the skull being hard doesn't give way to the pressure.

I dozed most of the evening and was so glad to be in a side ward...outside in the bay old lady shouting to herself, one died!! and all the others moaning between them at the noise..I just shut my door and managed to sleep...until the night consultant woke me at 2am to go through it all again and have obs done!

This morning another 'team' came round and his time they told me my symptoms and I just said 'yes' to it all.

Finally someone from the Oncology team came at 2pm and went through the plan..5 doses over 5 days of radiotherapy to the whole of my head which means I could lose and probably will lose hair and it won't grow back..what a total piss take..excuse my language! Steroids to stop the swelling so bald and fat once again..

I got out at 4.30pm when Helen (Roberts) came to pick me up, she'd had Jack all day and rather than wait until 6.30pm for Jon to pick me up she came for me.  Only prob was I had no clothes other than pyjamas and dressing gown, did I care did I **** waited outside the hospital, got a few funny looks but I couldn't have cared less (they prob thought I'd escaped from Prospect Park hosp!!)

Now for the hard part..Breast Care Nurses said there would be no problem in claiming on my 12mth terminal illness policy..but I may defy the average yet again and get longer..I hope so.  If I miss the Olympics in our country I'll be so annoyed!

Driving license has to go to DVLA no more driving for me and that will be a tough one to get use to...one car for sale!!

So still positive frame of mind as what's the point in being anything else.

I have so much support from family and friends and I just hope that I can learn to ask for help and take the help offered, it's hard when I can't offer anything back.

So spare a thought for us and the tough times we face as a family.

Oh just one more thing spent £95 on a mouth guard that I probably don't now need, teeth grinding causing bad heads seems so much more attractive than the diagnosis I got.

Enough from me on this I'm all brained out.

Love Clare xx

16 comments:

  1. Clare, first of all I am so sorry that you have had to suffer for so long before they found out what on earth was causing your pain. That's abit of a poor service IMO. :-( Secondly, I am not sure what you mean that you can't give anything back, I don't think you realise what you give on a day to day basis to so many people just by being you. I really and truly do mean that Hun, if anything like this should happen to me in the future, I am going to re read your blog straight away just to remind myself of how you have dealt with all of this crap that you so definitely do not deserve. What a fantastic and amazing woman you are Clare. Love Rachel x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clare, this is hard for me to write, as I don't know what to say, I really don't. I'm not a religious person, but I am praying for you and hoping for a miracle.

    You are so positive, which undoubtedly helps and if anyone can "defy the average" I know it will be you.

    You say you "can't offer anything back", but you already give so much to so many, and will continue to do so. You are so brave and so positive and I am not lying or elaborating when I say you are an inspiration to so many people - that's because you truly are. Anyway, you're not required to 'give' anything; just accept the help and support that so many want to offer because they care about you and love you.

    Don't worry about the hair, it's a small price to pay if the radiotherapy is going to help. Besides, wigs are so glam these days :-)

    I'm thinking of you, Jon and Jack and all around you, including your lovely friend, Wendy.

    L XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. ((((Clare)))))
    You are such a special, wonderful woman. I don't think you have any real idea how much you have inspired and humbled those around you for so long. What you have had to go through so far and what you are still dealing with is just the most horrible thing that could ever happen to anyone. You have such dignity and grace in the face of dreadful adversity and you are definitely one of the bravest people I know and your humour always brings a smile to my face. You have given so much to so many, Clare, so never feel bad about asking for help. There are literally hundreds of people out there (me included) who would drop everything in a second to give you a hand even in the smallest way and would feel honoured to do so.
    Keep fighting Clare. You are truly amazing. Thinking of you and all your family at this difficult time and praying for a miracle for you. Much love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clare.....I kind of thought as you had not written on your FB that the results were not good :@(

    Again, the others have said it all really. You are an amazing person and to see how far you've come and will go on, totally makes you one special lady.

    I cannot imagine what you are going through now. This is another hurdle but with all your strength you'll pull through.

    Massive hugs to you, your family Jon & Jack and I'd even be prepared to share my Merlot.....now you know I don't usually do that :@)

    Keep smiling :@)

    Andrea
    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clare. We are so sorry its not the news we wanted to hear. You have shown us day after day after day how courageous and amazing you are. You supported me when I was diagnosed and helped me through everything and I am so grateful - you give plenty. You are such a strong person and I know you will find a way to fight this. You are my inspiration Clare.
    Thinking of you, Jon and Jack xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clare

    (((BIG HUGS)))

    You are a very special person in my life and have been for the past 17 years. Sorry that it was not the news you wanted but I know you are a strong person.

    If there is anything that I can do for you, Jon or Jack just ask as I want to help.

    My thoughts, love and prayers are with you all.

    Sinead xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clare,

    I know this wasn't the news you wanted to get, and I am so sorry that this sh&*!y disease has dealt another blow.

    Your bravery and strenght in fighting it this far is an inspiration to us all, and I know you will keep on fighting. You have all our support behind you.

    Love to you, Jon and Jack...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cant really add to what the others have put but you are an inspiration to us all. Keep up the fight Clare: I know you will.

    Thinking of you

    Alexandra x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, love. You're in my thoughts and prayers, as are your lovely boys and your M&D; what a horrible time for you all.

    Much love
    Julia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. ((Clare)) I don't think I can express myself as well as some of the ladies have, but I hope you know that i'm so proud to have you as my friend, you are the bravest person I know, and you are in my thoughts. I wish this shitty disease would just leave you alone! I am so angry that this is happening to you. Keep fighting Clare, you are amazing. Lots of love xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. (((Clare))) hugs to a lovely brave lady, thinking of you and your family always. Keep fighting xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thinking of you Clare, and your lovely family. Wishing you all lots of strength. I know your boys will always be there loving and supporting you through this. I wish I could do more - but really, if there is anything at all I could do, just ask.

    Loads of love,
    Aisha xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Clare.. Sue (Belle) asked me to post this, as she can't seem to post for some reason..

    (Clare)) Like Lisa i am finding it hard to express how i am feeling through the tears after reading your post. Here you are once again worrying and thinking of others. Clare you have given so much in so many ways and i am trully thankful to have you as a friend.

    My thoughts are with you Clare, your family and friends.

    Take care, all my love Sue xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for all your support it means so much to me to know I will have help from a brilliant group of friends

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  15. bl**dy hell Clare, cannot believe this latest news hun, really really angry for you life's such a b*tch. Not expressing myself well but think your news needs swear words.
    Keep fighting Clare, we'll be with you powering each punch against this vile disease.
    Love and hugs to you and the two special men in your life. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry to hear this news Clare. Have only just caught up as have been away for a few days. I really don't know what to say...everyone has said it all already. I just want you to know that I think you are so very brave and an inspiration to us all & I think about you all the time. xx

    ReplyDelete