Friday, 26 August 2011

Horrible start to the day...sat on the edge of the bed for 30mins unable to function at all.

Luckily, Jon was off today and so I didn't have to rely on anyone else to take me in to hospital...frightened I would puke in the car!!

Went straight up to the ward and met up with my friend Charlotte.  She said straight away that I didn't look myself.  Felt so weak by the time I went in for treatment and Sandra (nurse) who saw to me was so concerned that she did full bloods.  At least 3 of the nurses thought I looked anaemic and would need a blood transfusion.

Had Herceptin and Zometa and then made my way down to clinic...they were running 2hrs late which was ok as I got there 30mins late .

Dr Charlton saw me and started by going through the bloods that were taken on the ward...nothing untoward there so no transfusion needed and then the scan results...

There are a few lymph nodes around my neck that have cancer in them but he's not concerned.  Lung looks inflamed but that has been put down to a blast of radio I had last year.  Liver had a tumour of 20mm now it has one of 38mm...BUT again he's not too concerned as in the whole scheme of things a golf ball size tumour in a large organ like the liver isn't going to be a nuisance immediately.

Head scan showed tumours have behaved how he would expect following radiotherapy..still there but shrunken...

I explained the lack of energy and that I just can't be bothered to do anything...he immediately suggested upping the steroids to 2mg a day from 1mg.

He had no idea why I was being sick and I think maybe I've admitted to myself I do get stressed over scan results after all.

Left there at 1pm and as we drove up the road had to stop for me to be sick again!!...Poor bloke walking passed didn't know what to do!!

Got in took an extra mg of steroid and what do you know feel ok this afternoon/evening.

He said that he knows how I feel about the bloatedness but at least I will feel ok.

There are 2 chemo's that he has in mind but both need to meet PCT guidelines and if they sanction one I will have to stop Herceptin and the other he wants to keep back for a while.

So all in all came out of there feeling 'ok' but know that we as a family have a 'fight' on our hands..small for now and hopefully it will remain like that for a while.

On a much happier note Tim (my nephew) and Victoria and getting married, most likely New Years Eve 2011...they have asked if Jack will be pageboy and of course I said yes...so excited.

Love Clare xx

7 comments:

  1. Glad you didn't need the blood transfusion Clare and the news of the scan sounds OK for now. Sorry you were so poorly this morning :-( Maybe just decide that you can live with feeling bloated etc but in terms of quality of life, you need the bigger steroid dose. There is no point in feeling terrible day after day and it seems like this week has been a bad one. I say take the drugs, feel better and get on with enjoying our life! When will you know about the PCT's decision about chemo? And did you meet up with your BC nurse or sort anything out about a Macmillan Nurse? Hope this weekend is a good one for you, Jon and Jack and don't forget that you have friends all over the place thinking of you often and willing you to feel better for a very long time to come. Much love as always xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clare, so pleased you had Jon with you today and your blood and scan results were ok. Hope the extra mg will help you gain your energy levels back and like Jane hope you get some support from a macmillan nurse really soon. Have been thinking of you all day and can see you still have a long journey ahead. Take care clare, Sue Alexander

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the higher steroid dose helps Clare and the sickness is due to stress, hope your feeling better soon after an awful week, try and take it easy and have a nice weekend xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope things improve with the extra steroids, Clare. And that you get some help too. Love to you and your family,
    Aisha xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad scan results were OK. Hope the steroids help you feel better.

    Love and hugs

    Sinead xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Clare, i'm so sorry you're feeling so rough, it must just be horrid. Glad you had a positive appt, and hope the extra steroids make a massive improvement on your energy levels. Also you'll have more time to rest when Jack's back at school next week, so maybe that will also help?
    Wish I was around to lend a hand. Love Lisa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Clare,

    Glad those tumours did as hoped and that your bloods were clear. Sorry you're feeling rotten though. Hopefully a slightly less stressful week and the extra steroids will make you feel better. Oh and, easy to say not so easy to do when you're feeling horrible, hang on to that fighting, positive attitude you have :-))

    What lovely news that Jack is to be a page boy! He is going to look so gorgeous.

    Sending huge love and hugs as always,

    Jan, Joel and Sam xxx

    ReplyDelete