Friday, 18 November 2011

Shattered after a very long day at the hospital, mostly sitting around waiting.

Got there at 8.30am, (thank you Hilary for the early morning lift).  Called in at 9pm but told the Herceptin wasn't done yet but the could start with the Zometa.

I have a port fitted under my skin to allow easy (ha ha) access for treatments.  I have only ever had a problem with it once before.  9/10 (I lost count) attempts were made to access it but each time no blood could be drawn back.
They finally gave up after 1.5hrs of prodding and poking (it didn't hurt but is now bruised).

I went down to clinic and saw Dr C with my questions:
  • GP suggested increasing steroids to 4mgbreakfast/1mg lunch - he is fine with this.
  • Whooshing noise in my head just before I lose balance and use of right leg - he thinks it's 'electrical' happenings in my brain - prescribed anti-convulsion tabs to take.
  • Co-ordination not good i.e. misjudging things like putting plates in cupboards and missing the shelf/ filling the water filter and spilling it all over the side - his answer, par for the course and live with.  Thought he may say that.
  • Cannot write properly anymore - basically tough, just type instead
  • Waking nearly every night approx 3.30am with a cracking head ache - his answer bin the Tramadol and try para/codeine.
  • I asked also when I feel ill who do I contact - 1st point of call Macmillan as they are out and about in the community they can always cal in to see me.
So all in all not bad, he still doesn't want to do a scan until January.

Back up to the ward and they had to access a vein in then back of my hand.  Good veins now as not been used for over 3yrs.  Drugs all ready, so I was plugged in and left by now it was 11.45am.

The new meds prescribed were on the system but pharmacy hadn't noticed them and so hadn't made up the script.  I had to wait until 2.30pm for them to be done and sent up to the ward.

Finally, got home at 2.50pm, shattered, (thank you Anita for coming to get me). 

Jack was collected by my friend so that helped out enormously, he is as I type at his 1st school disco!

So watch this space as to whether the new drugs work or not.

I am going to have a very quiet weekend indeed.

Love Clare xx

2 comments:

  1. You deserve a quiet weekend after today's shenanigans. It must be difficult to adapt to the situation you find yourself in, you do so with courage and I admire you greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Clare, you adjust to each challenge as they occur and never let it discourage you. You are an amazing lady. Enjoy your weekend Sue Alexander

    ReplyDelete