Monday 7th May 2007
Not really had much to write about since going to see the consultant….
I had my meeting with work and they have put me in our Long Term Sickness Scheme. It’s for a maximum of 2 years and in that time I have to have a meeting with the Company Dr every 3 months and have sickness certificates from my Dr.
Monthly payments work out at 65% of my salary, but they take off £3600 annually as they assume that you can at least claim Incapacity Benefit from the state…
I have completed a statement for the DWP and they think I will qualify. Not sure what will happen if I don’t as I am sure they don’t add back on the £3600…it’s just tough luck.
I still keep my benefits (death in service/pension contributions/ bonus). I will get all my holiday paid in November or December (it’s up to me). The funny thing is, is that I haven’t had a pay rise for 4 years as I’m being paid more than the top level of my grade (I just get an annual lump sum) under this scheme I will get a pay rise and if I ever go back it’ll stay with me…how daft is that??
One thing that really did annoy me was my 2nd line manager was in the meeting and she obviously hadn’t been briefed about me (she took over from the last one in January and doesn’t even know me)..she kept going on about when I get better etc and I pointed out that I will never be better as it’s not a curable disease, she didn’t understand why and I then had to go through the explanation of metastatic cancer and very nearly made myself cry…
She also wasn’t aware that I had a 1 year old and hadn’t even managed to return back from maternity leave. Not sure who I blame really…my manager, HR or Occupational Health..she should have known the facts I was also concerned that the scheme assumes you’ll be going back to work and I have said I don’t think I will and my Dr doesn’t think it would do me any good either.
My manager said that the company Dr also doesn’t think that it would be the right environment for me and would just stress me out and possibly do my illness no good in the long run. He said just accept the scheme for now and if it comes to it they can offer me ill health retirement in the future.
So for the time being all seems ok...Except I have a rather sore swollen breast and need to get it sorted out but keep putting it off..you'd think I'd have learnt by now!!
Will ring my care nurse this week and ask what I do about it..do I see my Dr or get an appointment at the hospital or can they just drain it for me like after my op....
This time last year I was just a new Mum looking forward to life with my son and husband...blissfully unaware of what was to come by the end of May.
love Clare xx
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment