Wednesday, 17 December 2008

Tuesday 19th August 2008

Got my results and treatment plan today....

Firstly, saw the surgeon who went through the pathology report..No nodes affected so no need for more surgery. No vascular invasion and margins were clear. Was as suspected 2 Grade 3 tumours BUT...not Triple Negative as first pathology result indicated but HER2 positive.

Waited over an hour to see my oncologist...Plan of action is as follows:

  • NO extreme chemo. It was decided that as it hadn't spread further we would save the harsh chemo as ammunition for a later date.
  • Have to have a year of Herceptin (if the PCT agrees to fund** - they better do!)
  • No radiotherapy.
  • Heart ultrasound done before I can start on Herceptin and the appointment should come through before my holiday so I can start the chemo when I get back from my holiday.

**Herceptin is usually given alongside another chemo (such as Taxotare which is what I would have had) if it isn't, the PCT will want to know why it's necessary to have the Herceptin but not the Taxotare. My oncologist spoke to another oncologist and they think they can 'bend the rules' for a patient who isn't text book stuff .

So all in all so much better than I thought but not one of my scenarios mentioned yesterday.

love Clare xx

No comments:

Post a Comment