Monday, 16 November 2009

What a grim appointment I had today...
I was lucky enough to actually see Dr Charlton, he came strolling in to clinic at 9.50am (my appointment was 9.30am).
He said my scan done in October was compared to the one I had done in March and the 5mm tumour (the one that's been there since the beginning) has grown to 7mm and there is a fresh tumour of 5mm on my lung under my mastectomy area.
He said he wants to have a biopsy done on the new tumour to ascertain which cancer it is ..the 1st oestrogen+  or the 2nd HER2+, so that they can treat it with the most effective treatment.  Problem he has is knowing whether 5mm is too small to get a proper reading in the pathlab...he's going to meet with a 'lung expert' and ask them their thoughts and try and see me again within the next 2/3 weeks.
He knows my feelings on the chemo Taxotare and said that there is possibly another route we could take but I said I want to have whichever chemo he thinks will do the better job.
If the new tumour is oestrogen+ then I'll be having monthly Zoledax injections to stop my ovaries working. He did ask if it would bother me or not...I replied 'I'll jump for joy at the thought of no more periods'!!
So the plan is for him to meet with whoever, decide if a biospy is worth it at the moment or to wait until it's a bit bigger - eek!.  Then decide on which treatment and when to start...he thinks if going on Taxotare to start at my first session in the New Year and have it at the same time as my Herceptin.
Taxotare is quite a harsh chemo...I could have any of the following to look forward to... 

Obviously I will hate to lose my hair again and put loads of weight on BUT I'd rather be bald and fat and still be here than the alternative option....
So a bit of a scary time for us all...to say we're gutted is an understatement but knew that one day we'd get news we didn't want to hear.

Love Clare xx

12 comments:

  1. Aw Clare - I am really really sorry to hear this news, I hoped for better for you. :-( Not sure what I can say that will be of any use to you, probably not alot as I don't know much about it, but am thinking of you and hoping for you all the while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clare, I'm lost for words my dear friend, am so sorry that the news wasn't better. I hope that when you next see them in 2/3 weeks time that they'll have a positive way forward for you. Love and hugs from me, Dave, Megan and Daniel...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am lost for words....I just don't know what to say :(.....(((((hugs))))) for you all.
    Lots of love and always thinking of you.

    Lil
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clare, Thinking of you. It must have been very difficult for you hearing about these changes, and I dont know anything about this, but the Dr is making positive sounds about teatment, and if something is too small for a biopsy hopefully that is good ?? Wish I knew more about this so I could help, but thinking of you. Love to Jon and Jack too x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crappy, crappy news, Clare - I'm so sorry you are having more to worry you. Sending you lots of love and hugs. xxxx Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clare, I am so sorry.. was hoping to log on and read good news.
    Obviously these tumours do not know who they are messing with!! You just keep on fighting, and stay strong with your wonderful positive attitude.
    We are all here for you
    Love & Hugs xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clare, you always amaze me with your strength it's just not fair that you have all this worry. I wish there was something positive I could do or even say. Thinking of you always. xxx Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clare am so sorry were thinking of you all xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. My dear dear friend, you continue to amaze me, you know I am here for you always and I know that you will face this next challenge head on, like you've always done, I know you'll keep fighting and I'll fight with you. Love you lots, Wendy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clare, so sorry you have another fight on your hands, life is just not fair. You are amazing and you don't deserve this xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Clare, I read all your posts with true admiration on the way you handle this awful disease. Not good news this time but I know you'll stand up and face this again. Keep smiling cyberbud :@). Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clare,

    as everyone else has said so sorry to hear the news. We are thinking of you and send all our love to all of you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete